Design Technology should enable learners to devise, plan, design and execute tasks in a range of different circumstances, beginning with closed practical tasks, and later developing investigative and research skills.
Design and Technology is currently delivered at Key Stage 3 with a focus on Resistant Materials and Graphic Products as well as some basic Electronics where students are encouraged to use practical solutions to problems through imaginative thinking. At Key Stage 4, students currently embark on the NCFE Level 1/2 Creative Craft in Construction.
This qualification aims to:
- extend and further develop learners' skills
- extend learners' knowledge and understanding of the creative craft process
- extend learners' understanding of health and safety issues provide the opportunity for further development
- provide a basis for progression onto further study.
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners to:
- use raw materials, tools and equipment in a safe and competent manner
- evaluate own work, develop ideas and learning through the craft process
- develop an understanding of health and safety considerations in the craft environment
Food Technology is part of Design and Technology in the National Curriculum.
Pupils at Melrose participate in weekly practical Food Technology lessons, giving them plenty of opportunity to develop all basic, and many more advanced, cooking skills. They produce a fantastic range of dishes including home cooking staples, international dishes and healthier versions of favourite take-aways.
Our pupils are creative cooks, able to produce nutritious and tasty meals from limited ingredients and have a good sense of budgeting for food. During practical lessons pupils focus on a different aspect of food each term; firstly food safety, then nutrition and finally specialist diets & menu planning.
We offer two qualifications; the practical BTEC Level 2 Home Cooking Skills and the theoretical Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate. Leaving Melrose with both of these qualifications gives our pupils a great groundwork to enter the catering industry.